Thursday, February 7, 2008

An epiphany in second person

My best friend recently broke up with her boyfriend. She had the confused first week, knowing it was about to lead into the sad second week, and then she had an ephiphany. She was looking at the pictures he had sent her from his brother's wedding the weekend after their breakup. She described looking at them and just "getting it." All at once, everything became clear and she realized that they weren't meant to be together. They have nothing in common, and no matter how hard she tried, she could not talk herself into accepting that. She realized that she could never move away from her home in the city to join his life in the country (especially the countryside of Zambia). She would always be an LA girl, and he would always be a Zambia farm boy. And just like that, she was over it and ready to move on.

Have any of you ever had this experience? Were you thankful or reluctant?

2 comments:

  1. it sucks to realize you were wrong. so even if it's a good thing, you always want to believe you were better than thinking what you thought before the epiphany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha when I read this post it made me smile purely from empathy and knowing EXACTLY how that situation feels. I don't know if I told you that I broke up with Bryan, officially. After nearly 3 years. Ugh.

    The real issue is overcoming the emotional with the practical. The hard part of a breakup is the emotional part, then I think about it and how it would NEVER really work and it makes me feel better, although I can't say the sad feelings don't come back every once in a while.

    Other than my past relationship I would say that the grieving of every other relationship ended in a sudden, epiphanic way. It's weird how that works, but it just does.

    ReplyDelete