Monday, January 14, 2008

Third Time's a Charm

I will admit willingly that I am a control freak. A passive-aggressive one. Figure that out. Anyway, I like to have control over myself and the situations I place myself in. The problem arises when i have no control over the situations I find myself dropped into. I will also admit that sometimes, sometimes, I feel as though I know better than others what they should do with their own lives (don't blame me, I have individualization!*). I want to help them, guide them toward smoother waters, point out the chaos in order to end it for them. But then, my logical brain tells me to shut up, because, after all, "since we all have opinions, we are all opinionated, which means that 'opinionated' is just another word for 'bossy'" - K. Ward

Wow, i just quoted myself in my own writing. Someone is feeling a little cheeky today!

I'll stop now. But with this closing thought: here's to those who want to help, and here's to the frustration that comes from knowing that your advice won't be taken. To my similar humans, i sympathize and empathize, and i wish you all the best.

*If you don't know what this is, you should take StrengthsFinder.

2 comments:

  1. haha. opinionated= bossy. Definitely something that has occurred to me as well.

    Isn't it hard to watch other people not take the advice given to them, especially when the same advice comes unanimously from multiple sources? And you think, gosh how could they do that when everyone else told them not to?

    And then I think, Wow, I wonder if I've ever been that person that doesn't listen either. :) Time will tell I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure at times we are that person, but would I ever admit that out loud? NO! haha. But seriously, why won't people just listen?

    I guess when you think about why people don't listen you are forced to think about whether or not you are listening, so it's a helpful activity even while it is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete