Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My day of radioactivity

Tomorrow I am going to Orange Imaging to be radioactivized and then scanned. It will be a fun day where I go there at 9:00 and again at 4:00. First, I swallow a pill of radioactive iodine. Then I go home so as not to infect my co-workers. I return at 4:00 to be scanned by some sort of special camera. I will get up the next day (this I am not looking forward to), dress for work, get to Orange Imaging by 7:30 to be scanned a second time, and then go to work. Yay! I am hoping to get some answers out of this process. I have been feeling "not right" for years, and I have exhausted my resources trying to find out why. This seems like a step...in a direction...any direction, really.

In a strange twist of fate, I happened to mention to a co-worker that I would be out and what for. She started into a conversation about her own battles with hypothyroidism. Strangely, we had a lot in common. She told me the struggles that she and her sister have had in being diagnosed with something that they possess all the symptoms of, but something that goes unnoticed in blood work.

It's funny how life works that way. Just as I was about to tell myself that, after this test, I would ignore forever the feeling of "not good" and move on, I am given a ray of hope. My co-worker feels better. I might, too.

I'll let you know if I glow in the dark tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment