Thursday, March 19, 2009

Is there a good marriage?

I have been debating the idea of a good marriage for quite some time now. To begin with, I ask you to think for a moment. Close your eyes and try to picture a couple with a good marriage. Get the image of them in your mind, and then ask yourselves these questions: have they been married longer than 10 years? Is it a second marriage? Do you really know them all that well?

These are the things we use to disregard any relationship that can be viewed as a "good" one. The happiest marriages I knew, that of my high school best friend's parents, my grandparents, and another set of family members who I will not name, always rang out in my mind when I thought of what a marriage could be like. I would tell myself that a good marriage was possible, as evidenced by these happy examples. If I tried hard enough, and picked the right mate, I could have happiness like this. Unfortunately, my mind has systematically shut down each one of these shining examples. My grandparents had a beautiful marriage, but it was the second for both of them, and they had so little time together. Perhaps that makes it better, more beautiful somehow. The parents of my friend...I never knew them that well, so they may have a great marriage, but some of the better-looking relationships hide the darkest secrets. This point is evidenced by my family example. The marriage I saw as better than perfect has seemed to crumble upon closer inspection. I thought my parents' marriage was just...lacking. however, there is something comforting about knowing what one can expect, and not being taken by surprise. There are no ups and downs, and perhaps that is a good thing.

I wonder if there is such thing as a good marriage. I can't think of a single one but my own. Then again, I've only been married for 5 months. Will things fall apart? Can I truly believe that we will beat the odds, not only to stay together, but to stay happy? Or is it truly impossible?

No comments:

Post a Comment