Thursday, March 6, 2008

The stress monster

I am not a stress monster.
Really.
But the stress monster has been nipping at my heels lately.
My job is becoming a little more overwhelming. I want to do more here, and I want to learn, but the more I know, the more I can do, and the more I have assigned to me. I feel a teeny bit over my head right now. for some reason, this feeling makes me want to
a) quit my job and only deal with social/family/general life responsibilities
b) go back in time to college (why did it pass so quickly)
c) run screaming
I have not done any of those things (to be fair, only option c is actually possible unless someone lends me a time machine).
The weird thing is how stress affects all parts of your life. I feel like I am doing okay not letting stress invade and take over my life until I realize little things. I fall asleep during conversations and movies I am enjoying. I realize that my jaw hurts because I have suddenly started clenching my teeth; when and why, I don't know. Josh tells me that I am snoring, breathing loudly, and moving a lot in my sleep. I have dreams about work.
I am normally a very heavy sleeper. I fall asleep and stay in whatever position I was in until morning. Lately I'm having trouble falling asleep at the right times and staying asleep, and waking up is a challenge. I toss and turn and wake up frequently. I have begun to remember a lot of my dreams, and among them are dreams of work. Many are mundane; I dream of things I haven't done or need to do, or sending email, or sitting at my desk. A memorable one last weekend was that my job was sending me to Florida for a week. I had a mixture of excitement and sadness. I knew it was a good opportunity for me, but it was taking me away from my home and family. Then they came to pick me up for the airport and I didn't have pants on. I know this is a typical "feeling unprepared" dream, but I remember the disappointment of my co-workers the most. It seemed to drag on and on and never in the dream did I find some pants.

I need a vacation.

But seriously, do I listen to dreams and the feeling I keep shoving into the back of my mind that this job may be too much for me, or do I ignore those thoughts, realize that they are deceptive and ruinous, and inspire myself once again that I can do this?

1 comment:

  1. I think I go through options a, b, and c on a daily basis as well. It's a crazy cycle isn't it? It's all about finding a release from the stress where you can take your mind completely off of the stresses of work.

    HAHA the naked dreams. I have never had one, but they seem quite scary and funny at the same time.

    You WILL beat the stress monster! It just takes time getting used to the responsibilities of your job. Just think of what a steep learning curve you are on! Its quite amazing and should make you very proud!

    ReplyDelete