Friday, June 19, 2009

Life is Beautiful

Today was a beautiful day, although my head rings with a headache, the remnant of my tears. I attended the funeral of Todd William Mee, the son of my mother's boss. He was only 35. I never met him, but I wish I had. This is not the first time I've left a funeral wishing I'd met the deceased. It was a reminder that there are wonderful people on this earth.

It was also a reminder that life is fleeting, that people are weak, and yet so strong. Strong enough to read a goodbye to their older brother and protector, strong enough to join the Navy after 9/11 because they feel called to help, strong enough to watch their son's casket carried away from them, strong enough to bury the man they would have married, had God given him a few more months.

I can't imagine how I would have held it had it been my brother. And yet my brother is young, has accomplished nothing compared to this valiant man. I walked away with the astounding sense that the person whose life was ended, far before its time had so much more to offer. He was a great man, a brave sailor, a caring brother and uncle and son. The little things today, like his sister telling us how he would answer her calls with "hello, beautiful" and his father telling us that his deep, melodic voice was "his favorite sound in the world," or the repeated strain that he was his family's protector, the gentle giant, "Bull," that made him the person he was, and made me so sad that I missed out on it.

After the funeral, I paid my respects to his parents, and his father told me this: "Take advantage of every moment" he said "because life can be over, so soon...you know, I think he reached the pinnacle of his life. He was celebrated in the Navy, engaged, and had just received a commission in the Pacific. Maybe his life had reached its pinnacle." He paused and said "I guess we only have so much time on this earth."
"He did so many wonderful things in his time, though" I said.
"It's true. But I still don't understand. I probably won't. Just promise me. Don't leave the house without saying "I love you." Don't waste a single moment."

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful perspective from an outsider's point of view on the life of someone who was loved by so many.

    you should send this to his family as your own personal tribute. i think they would appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete