Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Do we forgive?

We are told that everyone deserves forgiveness. Whether or not you come about this from a religious standpoint, forgiving others is good for both parties. I know it's not healthy to carry resentment and anger. I know that the act of forgiving another can be very theraputic. What I don't know is this: do you forgive someone who doesn't want your forgiveness?

What if the person in question thinks they've done nothing wrong? To forgive them for a perceived wrong would seem insulting. And, if I am not asked for forgiveness, I honestly don't give it. I wish I could free myself of the burden of resentment and forgive, but I find that near impossible for me. Even when I forgive, I never forget.

So tell me your opinion. Send this post to friends who might have one as well. If someone doesn't want your forgiveness, do you give it to them anyway? And how?

2 comments: