Wednesday, August 29, 2007

First Day of School!

Well, sorta.
Since I work at a college I get to watch the blissful, nervous, and expectant faces of college students as they walk across campus on the first day of yet another school year. i remember all of the feelings, and as a person who love, love, LOVES school, I envy them. Not that I need to...

As I walked through the corridors of Santiago Community College last night, I thought of the sounds, smells, and sights of a new school year. *sigh* I love them! While I haven't always been excited outright for the start of school, it is still a treasured memory. I can remember the smell of my elementary school, the walls covered in paper leaves, children standing awkwardly in their new clothes. I think buying clothes and school supplies was my favorite thing about starting school for many years. I remember the aisles of pens and paper and the excitement of getting organized. I remember the one new outfit that would hang expectantly in my closet for that fateful day.

I can still see (still, because it wasn't so long ago) the waxed black and red checkerboard floors of St. Robert's, my favorite building at LMU. It would be full of hushed excitement, the pregnant pause before an onslaught of activity. I remember the joy of buying books for my college classes, having an excuse to purchase $90 collections of Shakespeare and Whitman, the shudder of excitement down my spine as I ran one hesitant finger down the book's corresponding spine.

Yeah, I know, I'm such a dork!!

And now I feel so fortunate for the classes I am taking, the hectic pace of life that replaced my studies has brought forth two opportunities to relive my school moments. I take a tap class with my future mother-in-law, and, if I don't chicken out in the next 24 hours, I will be taking a Renaissance Lit class at Chapman. For the master's program!!!! Oh grant me the courage to follow through...

hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment