Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Something beautiful

I just wanted to share something that I thought was beautiful.

Last night, my grandma and my mom left the hospital to change and get some dinner after putting my grandpa to bed. They washed his face and hands and helped him into his pajamas, and then they watched as he fell asleep and they left. My grandma got a phone call shortly afterward from my grandpa's daughter, asking if his ex-wife could visit. Len, my grandfather, was married to his ex-wife for twenty years.
"Of course" my grandmother answered, and after hanging up the phone she turned to my mother.
"You know, she probably thinks I got the short end of the stick, but I feel bad for her."
"Why?" my mother asked, as would I, thinking of the twenty years his previous wife had, and the meager nine my grandmother has had with him, with four and a half of those spent caring for him as a cancer patient.
"Because I got to spend his final years with him."


She got his final, precious moments, and as sad as it will be to say goodbye, she will have the honor of having held his hand.

1 comment:

  1. i can only hope to be a woman of great strength and love as your grandma.

    ReplyDelete